H a r r y =G l a s s g o l d - - 1 9 0 8 - 1 9 8 4
Harry Glassgold attended the National Academy of Design and the Art Students League from 1930 to 1932, where he studied under Raphael Soyer. He received immediate recognition for his work in watercolor through the outdoor exhibitions held in Washington Square during the depression. He joined the Midtown Gallery at its inception, exhibiting frequently in its many group shows. He went on to exhibit at the ACA and AAA Galleries, the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Corcoran Gallery, the Brooklyn Museum, the Chicago International and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Following his one-man show at the Hudson D. Walker Gallery in 1938,
Glassgold was invited to show at the Young Artist's Market in Detroit where he had twelve one-man shows from 1938-1950. For his work in the medium of watercolor, Glassgold received several prestigious awards, among them the Albert Kahn Prize (Best of Show), 1942, the John S. Newberry Purchase Prize, 1943, and the Flint Institute of Art (Best Watercolor), 1947. His works are held in the public collections of the Whitney Museum of American Art, the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Flint Institute of Arts, and in the private collections of R.H. Tannahill (founder of the Detroit Institute of Arts), and the Ford family.
Edition 250. Signed and numbered 243/250 in pencil. Signed and dated in the screen, upper left.
Image size 13 5/8 x 17 7/8 inches (346 x 454 mm); sheet size 20 x 26 inches (508 x 660 mm).
A fine, painterly impression with fresh colors, on cream wove paper; full margins (2 1/4 to 4 inches), in excellent condition.
After a watercolor by Glassgold now in the Detroit Institute of Arts. Published by Regional Art Editions.